Wednesday, August 19, 2009

They're forgetting me. 

                            They're already forgetting me. 

This knowledge cut me like a knife, although there is not a single part of me that is surprised or angry. 

I finally got a few minutes to browse through Facebook today, and with each status, album, update, and profile, I grew more and more aware that life back home is already moving ahead at lightning pace--without me. 

Oh, it hurt. Hurts. 

People I poured myself into. People who have pieces of me. People who I have continued to pray for and remember because my love for them is only strengthened by this distance. 

Ah, spreading your heart around is dangerous, messy business. 

And then God came down and told me--this is how it is. 

You love with all your strength and give your everything to the place you are. Wherever it is, you must BE there and give, give, give. 

And eventually, God will pick you up and carry you off, and then you do it again. 

I instinctively recoil at the thought. Of never putting down roots in anything but God. It's in my nature to want to build security and some kind of stability. 

But no. "Little girl," He said, "I've got you. But you have to let everything else go--grasp me with both hands." 

I drew my knees to my face and cried, long and deep. All I could say was, "okay...okay." I shook my head as God whispered that there would be many goodbyes, many misunderstandings, many long-distance loves, and not much advanced notice. He was talking about the rest of my life, by the way. 

I'm in God's arms, now, and my feet don't touch the ground. 



7 comments:

  1. Love you lots, Shihads, and you've been on my mind and in prayers a lot. Been following your blog here with interest; though definitely not to your extent, I'm beginning to realize the difficulty in grasping Him with both hands...

    Much Heart,
    Jackie H.

    P.S. posted as anonymous because using my Wordpress username didn't work...fail

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like the biggest dork everyday when I check your blog and you haven't posted.

    Life is moving, because there's no other way. I'm sure YOUR life is moving incredibly fast as well, love. I miss you, very much. You are constantly in my prayers, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Sars. I love you so much and in NO WAY have I forgotten you. You are amazing and have changed everyone you come into contact with for the better. I am so excited for what God is going to do through you. You are amazing. :))
    -Sarah Collins

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ummm... It's hard to forget the other part of who you are! I still think in facebook updates.

    -B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok funny story. In my first few hours at NIU i ran into a good friend of yours and we started talking about the great and crazy trip you are on. I will say it again, "I am really jealous of what God is doing through you." Enbrace it. Love it. Live it. I know you and I know you can do it ;)
    -BenGuth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah, i love you so much.
    i have not forgotten you..i think about you everday. a part of me is across the world right now and i miss you!
    i know your changing lives and i'm so proud of you!
    thank you for being an inspiration to me :)
    -Marty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woah Baby SARS...No one could ever forget a special person like you.I miss u so much! Everyday that u hav been gone I always remember a special moment or joke we have had."if you can't get someone out of your head, maybe they are suppose to be there." I love u oh so much. And I'm very proud of u 2.
    .:Jacs:.

    ReplyDelete