Friday, August 14, 2009

Nothing is sexier than a chick who speaks English :-P

Julianna, Aaron and I were sitting at an outdoor pub chatting and splitting a gyro plate and drinks. It was around 11 p.m. and we were talking, laughing, and just having a good time. At the table behind us sat two younger guys, smoking, looking fairly drunk, and eyeballing us. I didn't really think much of it. 

Some spontaneous fireworks started going off, and Julianna and I ran out to see them. When we came back, we found Aaron in a rather impassioned discussion with one of the guys from the other table. As soon as he saw Julianna, he waved her over, and the conversation switched to Hungarian. I just hung back, but Aaron kept giving me amused looks. 

Apparently the conversation went like this: 

Guy:  "I would like to get to know your friend. I am learning English and I'd like to practice it with her. Does she have a boyfriend?" 
Aaron: "Sorry but I don't think so." 
(Enter Julianna) 
Guy: "I want to get to know your friend. Where is she from? How long is she here" 
Julianna: "Sorry, we're leaving tomorrow morning" (not true) 
Guy: "Oh this sucks. Does she have a boyfriend? A number?" 
Julianna: "Sorry, but you're not going to get to talk to her." 
Guy: "Oh this sucks. Are you sure? I just want to talk to her." 
Julianna: "Sorry, but I am like her big sister and I'm not going to let you talk to her." 
Guy: "oh this sucks...this is really crap." 

I'm glad I didn't know what was going on...but the sad thing is, he probably really was attracted to my English language skills as much as anything else. It's a hot commodity here--even this morning, Julianna received a telemarketing call pushing English language courses. Not something I give much thought to in the States, and when I'm abroad, all I can think about is how much I wish I spoke something other than English. 

2 comments:

  1. haha! hon, i'm sure your English was only part of it!

    we miss you and are proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "This is really crap" hahahaha

    ReplyDelete