Sunday, August 9, 2009

Church in Budapest


Went to a Scottish Presbyterian church today in downtown Budapest. It'd been a while since I'd been to something so formal--my church in the States is an Assemblies of God, and much more flashy, big, and "hip". This was simpler, more timeless--songs out of hymnals, recited prayer, and a very formulaic routine. 

None of these are negative observations. Just different. I was really excited to go--as I continue to walk in Christ, I grow more and more curious about the ways that other people practice their spirituality, both Christian and non-Christian. As I told Julianna, it is really important for me to always be surrounded by people different than me--it keeps me challenged and causes me to constantly re-evaluate what I believe and why I do what I do. 

My favorite part of the service was at the end. Before the service began, a man carried in a large, leather bound Bible and placed it on a high, slender table. At the end of the service, we closed with a short hymn and prayer, then we repeated "Amen, amen, amen." The Bible was carried out again, ahead of the Reverend, as the congregation repeated "Amen" to a simple piano melody. 

I almost teared up, it was so strange. But I really loved the heart behind it--the Word had come to us, had spoken to us, and we stood proclaiming Amen, or "Let it be so." 

Something mysterious and beautiful about that, don't you think?   

At least, if it was a heartfelt refrain...for me it was. 


2 comments:

  1. Hmmm...thought I posted something but guess not. What I meant to say was...Lovely, Sarah. It's great to be able to follow along with you! I miss you and look forward to seeing you in about 6 weeks. Crazy! Enjoy your time! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comment on the Bible is interesting- they do the same in Mass (the priest holds the book above his head as he walks down the aisle). I admire the spirit of this gesture but had not thought about it in a while...thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete