Friday, August 7, 2009

August 7, 2009, 7:30 AM Frankfurt Time

Currently waiting around in the Frankfurt airport for my connecting flight to Budapest. The flight from Chicago was pretty rough. I didn’t sleep a wink...that puts me at 3 hours of sleep for the last 48 hours. Hm. This probably won’t end well. :-P

I was fortunate enough to have two very dear friends, Beth and Lisa, drive me to O’Hare. It was a very surreal experience. We joked around at first, but at our core we knew that this was some heavy business we were in--all of us. One of my friends just returned from Israel/Palestine and is seriously rethinking her life plans. My other friend is gaining an ever heavier burden for God’s work overseas, and is just waiting for direction. All three of us have come to understand that sooner or later we all ‘must go’--even to the ends of the earth.

I kept it together pretty well at the airport. In fact, I’m sitting here in Germany and I still don’t think I’ve realized that I won’t set foot on American soil for at least six months. Crazy.

But it’s beautiful. We discussed in the car the very real adventure we all are beginning. Living for God is ‘the coolest’ as Beth said. Really. What might ordinarily look like a bunch of reckless young adults is, in fact, a trio of intrepid messengers of hope--young people determined to make an eternal difference, to give away their lives for things bigger than themselves.

This is all only by God’s grace--our desires and abilities to serve are entirely dependent on his work in our hearts and our humble willingness to submit and sacrifice. But when one does this--releases one’s life completely into God’s hands--the result is a role in the Greatest Story Ever Told. We’re working to tell that story wherever and however he directs us. And it’s  true adventure--a trustworthy and rewarding one.

And a fairytale, I think...

But that’s a thought for another day.

The lady sitting near me has been babbling to herself in German for 15 minutes now. Yikes.

Time to get an espresso. Without any kind of alarm clock i don’t dare go to sleep in the terminal.

I’ll be with JS in just a few hours!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment