Thursday, September 3, 2009

A string of small days.

Sorry for the lack of updates. Days are flying by...Ramadan is in full swing. 

My daily routine looks like this: waking up at 3:30 a.m. to eat sahoor--for me, it's usually some oatmeal and and orange, or sometimes eggs or feta cheese and zatar. I head back to bed as soon as possible, but eating at that unnatural hour always upsets my stomach. I sleep until about 9, then get up, wash my face, and head to the pool to swim laps or ride the stationary bike. I am not really trying to get in shape--it's more a case of desperately needing some space. My father's house has THREE ROOMS. Tiny rooms with lots of furniture and too many people. 

My siblings and I sleep in one room, which barely has enough room for our four mattresses on the floor. The other room is a living room, which has an adjoining kitchen. My parents have the other bedroom with a tiny bathroom. 

Anyway, after returning from my light "work out"--I can't work too hard, because I'm fasting and prone to passing out--I usually shower, spend a good deal of time in devotionals/journalling, and then read, study Arabic, and mess around with my siblings. I am studying the entire New Testament, and it's a joy. I've read so many books since I've been here, and that is WONDERFUL. My inner, starved bookworm is growing fat and happy. 

Speaking of which, I've lost a lot of weight the last month (it's already been four weeks since I left the US.) I didn't really notice until yesterday. Not exactly a good thing. Hm. 

Evenings are lovely. Iftar when dad gets home and the adhan  sounds. Dates, soup, rice, etc. Then board games and Monk when Dad doesn't go to the mosque. We laugh way too much. It's so good for all of us--my dad especially, I think. 

Anyways, this is a pretty casual post, but I figured I ought to write something, however ordinary. 

I miss so, so many people. I've been able to write a lot of emails back and forth with many of my dearest friends. I appreciate it so much. Please forgive the unreliable response times. My internet is pretty spotty, and I've had a lot of migraines lately and found myself unable to write. I'll try and keep up! 

I've been trying to post pictures on here, but the internet won't cooperate. I have a few up on my Facebook though! 

Love you all. 

2 comments:

  1. I was beginning to wonder where you went! Thanks for the post. Missing you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your posts no matter how spotty they are. I am jealous! I love zatar! it's so good. hahaha ;) enjoy your good quality family time :)
    -Ben

    ReplyDelete