Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Selah

We slept out under the stars last night, on mats in the sand, breathing the cool air of the desert night.

I lay next to Tikera, my Saharawi sister, and could hardly keep from wriggling with delight under my blanket.

I’ve never experienced a more brilliant sight than the jeweled majesty that was spread above us.
Quivering diamonds, bright, pulsing planets, and the creamy cascade of the Milky Way spelled glory, glory, glory, and I could not sleep, because my heart sang along. With each shooting star that darted across the heavens, I forgot my tired, dusty body and I felt myself caught up in an ancient, living song. I felt tiny but so very, very safe.

“Is not God in the heights of heaven?
And see how lofty are the highest stars!”
(Job 22:12)

And still, the I Am of the galaxies and ages was beside me, and I could feel his breath on my cheek. I fell asleep in the arms of El Shaddai, the Unapproachable One who is so desperately near, so preciously personal. And it was close to eternity, last night.

3 comments:

  1. We worship You because of Who You are.

    Glad you had this time of refreshment. You needed it.

    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your mom! And i'm sure it was nothing compared to this, but i know one of my favorite nights in Las Vegas with NxGen was when we were able to spend the 4th of July in the desert. So beautiful!

    I love you, and i haven't forgotten to e-mail you back! I promise you'll be hearing from me soon, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stars are cool I guess :/ ... hahaha jk! That is awesome! I think God made the heavens to entertain and inspire us. There is so much to see in the span of one sky. How wonderful is His creation.
    -Ben Guth

    ReplyDelete