Thursday, January 14, 2010

Update from Jeddah

Long time no post, friends! (If there is anyone still reading this...) 

The last two weeks have been full. I said goodbye to my mom and siblings, and now it's just me and my Dad here in Jeddah...As I shared in a note on Facebook, I've decided to stay an extra month here with my Dad. Things are really rough for him lately...His mom was in the hospital all last week, and even now, he's on the phone with her and her various physicians at least a dozen times a day. 

He was already sufficiently exhausted and drained this evening, the usual result after a day of stressing over his mom and his busy job. Then the phone rang...again. It was his oldest brother, Ahmed, 'crying like a baby'--He has cancer again. Not only that, but he needs my dad to foot the medical bills, again. After the tense phone conversation ended, I spent the next hour listening as my dad mumbled dejectedly about how much "we will hate 2010" and what life will be when his mother and brother are dead. 

It's all heartbreaking, but I'm so, so thankful I could be here. I was outside hanging up laundry later, and I saw my Dad through the open window, staring into space. I couldn't bear to think of him going through this alone. I only pray God is able to use me to love and comfort my Dad in a real way while I'm here... 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Other than these family crises, I've been absolutely blessed to spend lots of time with one of my best, oldest friends, Julianna. It's been so wonderful to talk heart-to-heart, to stay up late swooning over Hugh Jackman (maybe), to play grown-up dress-up and laugh hysterically over completely un-funny things. JS, I love ya. 

- - - - - - -- -  - - - - -  - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Finally, I want to urge you all to follow the crisis in Haiti. The devastation is so vast, the need is so great. I hope all of you are heartbroken as you hear reports of the suffering--and that this compassion moves you to action. There are so many ways to help the efforts; I am compiling a list of organizations you can join with to help those in need. It's on Facebook, click here to visit the page:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=253069466815 

***I also want to publicly denounce and apologize for the appalling comments made my Pat Robertson regarding the Haitian crisis. As a follow of Christ, I am horrified that such a calloused and misguided sentiment was allowed to be expressed under the auspices of "Christianity".  If you haven't heard of his atrocious claims that Haiti is being "cursed" for making a "pact with the devil", you can read about it here: 

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2010/01/14/politics/politicalhotsheet/entry6096806.shtml 

We are called to love, to heal, to rescue...I pray you are all seeking to do what you can for the beautiful people of Haiti.****

Love you all...I leave you with this verse. : ) 

"If anyone has the world's goods, and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how can the love of God be in him? Children, let us love not in word and talk but in deed and truth." 1 John 3:17-18

2 comments:

  1. Love and miss you so much!! Praying for you and your family!!

    j.e.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos to you for doing what you need to do. Can't wait to see you again.

    -Kaity

    ReplyDelete